Inverclyde is a place where people with a learning disability can thrive and take their rightful place in our community. Alongside carers (in a paid or unpaid capacity) people with a learning disability should feel valued, respected, included and supported.
ADULT LEARNING DISABILITIES
2017 - 2020
Working alongside partners from Inverclyde HSCP, TAG (The Advisory Group) and the Learning Disability Advisory & Action Group enabled us to involve and engage a number of people from across Inverclyde in the redesign of the HSCP Adult Learning Disability services.
This assisted the transition process from the McPherson Centre to the Fitzgerald Centre and the implementation of the new service model.
We are now looking forward to the building of a new resource centre and hope to engage people who use services, their carers/families and the broader community in what this will look like and offer.
A report to councillors in 2018 stated: “The longer term aspiration of the service is that there will be a centrally-located daytime activity hub for people with learning disabilities and older people.
“This hub is intended to be housed in a community building, which can be used by the wider community alongside our service users. The ethos will be of inclusion, whereby people with additional needs and the wider community can come together in a modern, open and inclusive environment.”
Key aspects of the integrated day time hub listed at that time included:
• Accessible location with facilities and space to co-locate older people’s day care with the day opportunities base for people with learning disabilities.
• Capacity for 50-plus service users.
• The building can be used as a drop-in base for any service users or members of the community who require appropriate changing, personal care and feeding fa-cilities.
• The building should have a café style facility that offers a service all day and is run as either a social enterprise by service users or is tendered for a provider to offer employment training for all groups of people who require a supported em-ployment service.
• A therapeutic, learning and development model to meet personal health and so-cial outcomes for a number of people with physical and learning disabilities.
• Flexible space and zoning to allow peer activities, therapies, quiet spaces and an attractive large area that can be used by community groups and evening adult education.
FIND US ON GOOGLE MAPS:
Your Voice Company No: 265659 Reg Charity SCO29506 | Inverclyde Recovery Cafe Reg Charity SCO47378