Help for patients to choose the right service.
Going directly to the person with the appropriate skills is important. This can lead to a speedier recovery and makes sure services can help more people who need them.

Inverclyde Health and Social Care Partnership (HSCP) was chosen in late 2015 to work closely with the Scottish Government as a national test area for a project called NEW WAYS OF WORKING IN PRIMARY CARE, and Your Voice has been involved at all levels of delivering the campaign across Inverclyde.

The project aims to challenge and change established culture around where people turn for primary care services, and to make people aware of the variety of services available - to improve outcomes, to reduce waiting times and to aid health, wellbeing and recovery by directing people to the most suitable care.

Your Voice have delivered the campaign by developing the literature and materials, via extensive print, local news media, and an intensive social media campaign, and we continue to bring the idea of culture change via continuing face to face outreach with a wide variety of focus sessions, community groups, schools, libraries and more across Inverclyde.




Inverclyde HSCP
Culture Change

The Right



Call us on 01475 728628

Community Connectors can support patients that are affected by many issues and concerns including loneliness, isolation and lack of confidence. There can be many things that can make people less confident about going out and getting involved in the community.

Poor health, change in personal circumstances or bereavement can affect our self confidence and cause people to stop doing things they once enjoyed.

Community Connectors can provide that conversation and encouragement that someone needs to get back on track and take part in activities and interests. Community Connectors can be contacted directly or referrals from HSCP professionals, community organisations as well as family, friends and neighbours are accepted:

For a speedy recovery, self care is often the best if a patient has a minor illness or injury. An appropriately stocked medicine cabinet means you’ll receive the right treatment immediately, and the majority of necessary medication can be purchased cheaply (with no prescription required).

Treat coughs and colds by keeping warm, resting and drinking plenty of non-alcoholic fluids. Paracetamol and ibuprofen can reduce high temperatures and ease aches and pains. Most people recover from viral infections like colds and the flu within four to seven days without anything more than simple home remedies.

Antibiotics won’t help with the flu, colds and most coughs and sore throats. More information to help patients look after themselves is available:

The central Single point
of access for ICIL:
Call 01475 714350

For support to live independently and
assessment for personal/practical support

Inverclyde HSCP has a range of services available to people who need assistance with daily living tasks and activities to support them to live as independently as possible at home.

Services are available to people living within the community whether alone or as a member of a family.

Services include homecare, reablement, community alarm, telehealthcare and respite at home. Reablement is an essential part of our care and support at home service. It is designed to assist people to remain as independent as possible, by supporting them to regain their daily living skills and confidence, following a period of illness, accident or disability.

If a patient requires a longer term service an assessment of their needs will be carried out by the reablement service.


Support for Adults at risk’ include people over the age of 16 who:

  • find it difficult to keep themselves, their money or property safe
  • might be being harmed by other people or who are harming themselves
  • are more vulnerable because of illness, disability or mental disorder (this could mean people with mental health problems, people with dementia, people with a learning disability).This does not mean that all people with an illness, a disability or mental disorder are always at risk.  Some people in this situation at some point in their life can find it more difficult to keep themselves safe and need help to do so.



All children have the right to grow up in a caring and safe environment.  All adults have a responsibility to protect children.  This includes: parents, family members, neighbours and those who work with children and young people.

Members of the Community have a key role in identifying children at risk.  If you are concerned that a child has experienced or is at risk of abuse you should speak to a GP, health visitor, social worker, police officer or Children’s Reporter to report concerns.



Advice and support is available to all Inverclyde residents and employees of Inverclyde HSCP and Inverclyde Council. The Money Advisers providing the service are trained specialists experienced in dealing with complex debt issues, ranging from rent and council tax arrears, consumer debt and repossession proceedings.

The Money Adviser service can deal with the following:

  • Assess your situation and prioritise your debt
  • Give specialist advice and information on all the debt solutions appropriate to you and your particular circumstances
  • Can help you access to the Debt Arrangement Scheme
  • Give information on bankruptcy
  • Negotiate payments with creditors

The Money Adviser will act as a representative when negotiating with your creditors and will support and guide you throughout the process.  The service will arrange to review your circumstances periodically to ensure you are able to maintain all your ongoing liabilities.

These service can be contacted by telephoning 01475 715299.

Support to Live Independently

The Centre for Independent Living Centre (ICIL) provides a range of services and support for patients.



Aims to promote independence in all aspects of day to day living for Children and Adults and Carers.   The Occupational Therapy team undertake home visits for assessment for patients who have a physical disability or frailty. Following assessment the solutions may include: advice, information on local resources, equipment and adaptation solutions and if appropriate future housing recommendations.



Advice information or assessment of patient needs to identify what type of equipment could assist with a visual or hearing problem.

The central Single point of access for ICIL is 01475 714350.


Inverclyde Community Rehabilitation Team (previously RES team)

Inverclyde Community Rehabilitation Team provides assessment and rehabilitation for adults with a physical disability requiring rehabilitation from a multidisciplinary team. The team consists of:

  • Physiotherapists
  • Occupational Therapists
  • Speech & Language Therapists
  • Dietician
  • Podiatrist
  • Rehabilitation Support Workers
  • Gerontology Nurse Specialist


Community Specialist Diabetes Service

A specialist community diabetes team is based at Inverclyde centre for Independent Living.   The team consist of specialist diabetes nurse and a diabetes dietician.

Access to specialist diabetes podiatry services is accessed via Greenock Health Centre. The team provide a specialist diabetes management, treatment and education service for people with Type 2 diabetes within Inverclyde, referred from both primary and secondary care.

Muscle, bone and joint injuries

An injury is damage to the body that’s often caused by accidents, falls, hits and contact during sports.

For advice on muscle, joint or back pain, patients can visit the NHS Inform Musculoskeletal Zone online by clicking the red button to the left. If a patient requires further help and are aged 14 or older, they can self refer to Outpatient Physiotherapy.

Referral forms available in local physiotherapy departments, GP Practices or can be downloaded by clicking HERE.

What does a Community Pharmacist do?

Community Pharmacists are often referred to as retail or high street pharmacy or Chemist. They are responsible for the quality of medicines supplied to patients; they ensure that the supply of medicines is within the law and that medicines prescribed to patients are suitable.

Community Pharmacists advise patients about medicines, including how to take them, what reactions may occur and answering patients' questions. They respond to patients' symptoms and advice on medicines for sale in pharmacies. Other services are provided to patients, such as smoking cessation, blood pressure measurement and cholesterol management.

When should someone see a Community Pharmacist?

  • Hay fever
  • Piles
  • Dry Skin
  • Bruises
  • Thrush
  • Sunburn
  • Sore Throat and earache for less than 3 days
  • Head Lice
  • Pain Relieve
  • Abrasions
  • Emergency Contraception
  • Impetigo
  • Uncomplicated UTIs (Cystitis) in women 16-65 yrs
  • Cough & Colds
  • Constipation
  • Verrucas
  • Nappy rash
  • Insect bites
  • Mouth Ulcers /Cold Sores
  • Shingles

Outwith normal working hours, Patients can contact NHS 24 if they are too ill to wait until services re-open.

If a patient is unsure of a symptom or is looking for immediate advice they can contact NHS 24. The patient will speak to a call handler first; they may then put the patient through to a health professional to talk about their symptoms to determine the best help available.

What does an Optometrist / Optician do?

Optometrists carry out FREE NHS eye examinations which are available to all UK residents living in Scotland. Community optometrists are now recognised as the first ‘port of call’ for eye problems. Any patient that experiences any problems with their eyes should make an appointment with an optometrist. All high street opticians have an optometrist who provides NHS services.

The optometrist will carry out various tests and procedures to look for signs of eye disease. They may either treat the problem themselves or refer onto the hospital ophthalmology department for treatment. Optometrists are also qualified to dispense spectacles, fit contact lenses and prescribe low vision aids.

When should someone see an Optometrists / Optician?

  • Reduced, double or blurred vision
  • Cysts and styes
  • Corneal ulcers or abrasion
  • Squints in Children
  • Dry, red, sore, watery, sticky or itchy eyes or eyelids, irritated eyes
  • Seeing flashing lights
  • Conjunctivitis
  • Inflammations of the edge of eyelids
  • Headaches when reading or watching TV
  • Sudden Change in Vision

Your community optometrist (optician) is now your first point of contact should you have any problem with your eyes.

An optometrist is the professional who can best manage any eye problem and can arrange urgent hospital attention should that be necessary.

The hospital eye clinics no longer offer a walk-in service.

Contact your usual optometrist. If you don’t have one any local optician will help you with a suitable appointment or appropriate advice.

This service is paid for by the NHS so there is NO COST to you.

The optometry appointment may not need to be on the same day but urgent issues will receive urgent attention. On busy clinic days you may have to wait.

If the optometrist you contact cannot see you they will either give advice or arrange for you to be seen elsewhere.

What does a Dentist do?

Dentists care for teeth and gums. Dental disease can be prevented by visiting a dentist regularly for examinations and advice on caring for your mouth. Child smile is the programme for looking after your children's teeth and applying preventative fluoride varnish from the age of 2 years. All local dentists are accepting NHS patients.

Patients should register with a dentist for regular check-ups, planned routine treatment and emergency care. Dentists are the first port of call for dental and mouth problems. Dental disease can be prevented by visiting a dentist regularly for examinations and advice on caring for your mouth.

CHILD SMILE is the programme for looking after your children’s teeth and applying preventative fluoride varnish from the age of 2 years. All local dentists are accepting NHS patients.

Patients should register with a dentist for regular check-ups, planned routine treatment and emergency care. If a patient is not registered with a dentist, try to encourage them to do so as soon as possible.


If you are registered with a dentist:

During opening hours: contact your practice as early as possible

Outside opening hours:

If you are NOT registered with a dentist:

Contact a dentist in your area to register as a patient and explain your symptoms

  • Assess your symptoms
  • Recommend treatment
  • Arrange for treatment if appropriate
  • You will need to register with a dentist for any follow up care.

What does a GP TEAM do?

A GP Practice may have various professionals within their team. It may consist of GPs, Practice Nurse(s), Health Care Assistant/Phlebotomist and administration staff and management.

The Practice team will carry out detailed examinations and provide advice, information and prescription if appropriate. The Practice also provides routine monitoring and management of ongoing health conditions such as diabetes, high blood pressure, asthma and heart disease and can also provide most contraceptive services, maternity services, immunisations and screening (e.g. smears and child health).

A doctor can also refer patients to a specialist healthcare professional for tests and treatment.

What does a GP Receptionist do?

The role of the GP receptionist is to ensure that the patient is seen by the most appropriate person or service at the right time, and ensure the patient has a smooth journey through the system.

A Receptionist may ask patients questions to assist with directing them to the most appropriate service/professional.

When should someone see a member of the GP team?

When a patient has an illness or injury that just won’t go away, they should make an appointment to see a member of the General Practitioner Team (GP).

Everyone needs to register at their local GP surgery.



Inverclyde Community Care Forum

12 Clyde Square Greenock

Telephone 01475 728628


Facebook @YourVoiceICCF

Twitter @yourvoiceinver

Google+ Your Voice Profile

YouTube: Your Voice Channel


Submitting Form...

The server encountered an error.

Form received.

Your Voice Company No: 265659 Reg Charity SCO29506 | Inverclyde Recovery Cafe Reg Charity SCO47378